Monday, March 29, 2010

Congratulations Dr. Pickett



On Friday, March 26, Brett presented the public defense of his dissertation. I was happy to find a babysitter so I could be there. Bretts mom was also able to fly out from Utah. It was so nice that she was able to come and support Brett in this final hurdle before graduation.

Brett did a great job. He has worked very hard during the last 5 years and I am so proud of him for finishing everything up and graduating.

After the presentation, Brett's boss, Elliot, had us all up to the lab to celebrate. We picked up Emmeline and Mabel to come to this celebration with us. Elliot provided a nice cake and champagne for Brett and another grad student in the lab who also defended a dissertation that morning. We were a little worried until Elliot announced that there were two types of champagne available. Mary had the alcoholic one and Brett the non-alcoholic one. :) Emmeline and Mabel were very thrilled to get some of the "fancy drink" with us adults and they were very proud of their daddy for being able to open the bottle.





(Note to Brett- I love you so much. You are such a dedicated man--dedicated to your family and to your career. Thank you for taking such great care of me and our girls. And for working so hard. I could not ask for a better husband. I'm so proud of you. Congrats Dr. Pickett!!) If you want to see it, a pdf version is at: http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B5dMd3Pt60HQNjk5ZmUwM2QtYWI4Mi00MTA4LTg0NGEtMzMwYWE2MTUwYWZj&hl=en

5 comments:

Jackie said...

Yahoo!! That is so exciting for you guys and such an accomplishment!! Rich defended his thesis over the summer and it was such a relief to be done (not that we are done with school by any means)! But I am so happy for you guys and growing family is beautiful!!! Three girls! wow!! Love you! Jackie

Michelle said...

All I can say is....WOW! How exciting! Congratulations :)

michelle grange said...

Way to go Brett! Such a great accomplishment! I always knew you'd marry a doctor Lar. ;) Love you guys.

Megan Rogers said...

Wow!!! That is super exciting! I could never do that. You've got one hard working man!

Amelia said...

That is amazing - congratulations to you AND Brett. I am sure you helped him so much over those 5 years!! What a great feeling to have it over!! yeah!