Tuesday, December 7, 2010

A Series of Unfortunate Events. . .sprinkled with several fortunate miracles

This past weekend was a doozy. The week started off slow. I knew the weekend would be busy so we just sort of enjoyed the quiet. On Thursday night things started to pick up. Thursday was the RS Christmas dinner. It was a nice event and I'm glad I went.There were some musical numbers and then a short lesson on freezer cooking. As a Christmas present, the RS presidency prepared a yummy chicken-white bean soup for us and we also each got to take a big gallon bag home to put in our freezers. Very nice.

On Friday morning, it was my turn to drive downtown to Dallas and pick up the produce from the farmers market for the produce co op that I'm currently a part of. The drive was fine and picking out the produce was actually kinda fun.(but that is a subject for another post!) I was on my way home with what I thought would be plenty of time to get the produce up to my apartment and sorted before I had to go pick up Emmeline from preschool. Everything was going quite smoothly when all of the sudden I realized that I could not turn my steering wheel and my fix engine light was on. This happened while I was still on the freeway. I got a little concerned, however, I was luckily just passing an exit which only required a "veer" to get off. I was able to veer off the exit onto a frontage road with no other traffic. It was pretty miraculous that there wasn't any other traffic since this particular road led into a large mall. Due to the lack of traffic I was able to make a three point (or 5 point) turn into the mall parking lot. . .which again, miraculously, was pretty empty. Okay, closer to the mall was full of cars, but on my side of the parking lot was a big space that primarily served two big restaurants which were closed because it was still morning. (Coincidence?? Is there such a thing?) Anyhow, I called Brett, who miraculously didn't have any meetings that day and he left work to come and get me. I also called Triple A Roadside assistance and they sent someone to come tow the car. Brett and the tow truck arrived at about the same time. We moved all the carseats and the produce over to the little car. Then Brett went with the tow truck while Mabel, Maddie and I left to pick up Emmeline from preschool. We got to the school, miraculously, just in the nick of time to pick her up on time.

By the end of the day we got the produce delivered and everyone was safe and sound. The car would need some fairly extensive repairs. . but it was the weekend so we really didnt need two cars.

Saturday was the ward christmas party. Sunday Emmeline got sick. The kind of sick where she was throwing up all day. Miraculously, no one else in the family got sick. Monday: Emmeline was still sick. It was also her 5th birthday. (more details in another post).

It was certainly one of those weekends.

1 comment:

faith said...

Wow! It is so amazing when you can see those miracles happening (and amazingly frustrating at times). I'm so glad it all worked out for you - and so glad you didn't have to deal with any other throwing up kids!!