Wednesday, August 18, 2010

A visit to VA and a getaway to Philly

Brett had a conference in Philadelphia and I decided to take this chance to go visit my parents in Virginia. The girls and I flew out on Wednesday August 11. We had a nonstop flight (pretty much a requirement for me flying by myself with the three young girls :) ) and it went really well. The girls were great and we got through it without any trouble.

I really enjoyed my trip to my parents' house. It was great to play games, chat, relax, and eat food cooked by someone other than me. :) I know that the girls also had a wonderful time. They loved watching "grandma" movies. Their favorites include, The Heffalump Movie, Strawberry Shortcake Moving Day and Big Paw. They also loved playing with their aunt Lucy and uncles Leland and Adam. Leland was very considerate to take so much of his time and devote it to playing with his young nieces. They pulled out the large blocks and built a castle in which the "mean guy" locked the princess. Then the prince would have to fight the "mean guy". After dramatic battle and death scenes (the mean guy always lost) the prince would knock down the castle and free the princess. This play was reenacted multiple times; each time with the roles being switched up. It was quite hilarious.

On Friday I took the train to meet Brett in Philadelphia. My parents graciously watched my girls--yes, even Maddie--so I could have a romantic getaway with my husband. (Thanks mom and crew!! I really appreciated this getaway! We owe ya!!) Getting on the train was a little crazy (read about the adventure in my post Making the Train: A Personal "Tender Mercy" from the Lord). But I really enjoyed the ride once I got on. It was nice to be able to read my book without being interrupted every other paragraph by my children. :) Once I got to Philadelphia, it was a short walk to Bretts hotel. He met me and got me a philly cheesesteak sandwich which was delicious of course.



We spent some time walking around U Penn and the surrounding area. It was really nice to just be together. . .alone. We spent Saturday morning in the historic district taking tours of Constitution Hall and the Betsy Ross house and of course enjoying another philly cheesesteak. That afternoon Brett caught his flight home and I took the train back to VA.


My Parents met me at Union Station with my girls, Lucy and Leland. We had a fun dinner at Union Station and then we went to the Lincoln and Washington Memorials. It was a beautiful evening to spend on the National Mall.






It wasnt to hot and there was a slight breeze. It was perfect. It was fun to climb in the trees and watch the kids run around and play. Washington D.C. really is one of my most favorite cities in the world.








On Monday we were planning to drive down to Virginia Beach. After two hours in traffic. . .we decided our beach trip was doomed and we turned around. Going the other way, we covered the distance we had gone in 15 minutes. lol.



Instead we went swimming at a neighbors house and then had a popcorn movie party. Tuesday we went to the National zoo. It was fun. . .but it was hot. The girls did really enjoy riding the Metro ("the train that drives underground") and they liked seeing the Panda.






A couple highlights of the trip for me other then what I've already mentioned were going on a couple of house calls with Adam at work. He is a pest control man and it was fun to watch him in action. Also, spending so much time with Leland. Leland was 5 when my family moved to Virginia and I stayed in Utah. So in my mind, he's always been the little kid. But he has really grown into a nice and funny young man. Now he will stay and talk with the "adults" and contribute to the conversation. It was really fun for me to spend some more time getting to know him. And finally, the creation of a super fun game we aptly named Power Play. The game uses Uno cards but it is much more exciting then Uno. Along with the usual skipping, and draw twoing that take place during traditional Uno, Lucy had to massage my dads feet, Leland had to put ice down his pants, and I had to make Lucy and Ice Cream Sunday. . .along with several other things which made the game interesting. Maybe you had to be there. . .but it was certainly a keeper. (Lyds, you are gonna love it!!)








We had a wonderful trip and cant wait until our next chance to get together.

No comments: