Thursday, August 19, 2010

Making the Train: A Personal "Tender Mercy" from the Lord



On Friday August 13 (during a trip to visit my parents in VA) I took the train to meet Brett, who was attending a work conference in Philadelphia. On my way to the train, I had one of those "Tender Mercies of the Lord" Moments. I decided to take the Metro to Union Station. I love the Metro and it would take me right there so I thought it would be a good idea. Anyway, the first metro took a little bit longer to catch then I had anticipated and so I was running a bit behind schedule. I was on the blue line and had a couple transfers to make to get to the red line which would take me to Union Station. I was planning on stopping at Kings Street but I just had the most yucky feeling that I was going to miss my train to Philadelphia. I know that I could always buy another ticket for a later departure and it wasn't the end of the world or anything. . . but I just felt yucky. Anyway, I said a prayer to my Father in Heaven asking for some comfort and possibly a miracle to make my train. When I finished I thought about my plan to transfer at King Street . I still felt hopeless. Then I thought about transferring at the Pentagon stop instead, which is a bigger station and so I thought it might be more hectic, but it felt better. I still wasnt convinced that I would make my train, but I didnt feel so yucky either. When we stopped at Kings Street and I saw what a small, non confusing stop it was, I was once again tempted to get out. . .but decided to trust the feelings I had after I prayed. I made my first transfer at Pentagon station then made my next transfer at chinatown and finally arrived at Union Station. I ran. I had about 5 minutes before departure time and I had no idea where I was supposed to go or how difficult Union Station was to navigate. I found an automatic ticket kiosk and checked in and printed out my ticket. I still wasnt sure where to go so I went into the first gate I saw and asked the person at the desk, who pointed me to a gate clear down at the other end of the station. Once again I ran. But I got through the line and on the train. I sat down and not more then two minutes later. . .maybe less. . .the train started up and pulled out.



When I first got on the metro that morning, I really doubted that I would make the train. I really believe that the Lord was watching out for me and helped me to make choices which would help me get to the train on time. . .I am so thankful for His "tender mercies" for me and my family.

No comments: