Sunday, November 30, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving 2008

We enjoyed a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend this year. On Thursday we drove over to Atlanta to share Thanksgiving with my Aunt Sara and Uncle George and their family, just as we have for the past two years. Once we arrived, we devoured a delicious Thanksgiving dinner. The food was so yummy. Sara made her sweet potatoes in orange peel bowls. They are my favorite sweet potatoes ever. Brett and I brought our favorite green bean casserole (not made with any canned soup or french onions on top. . . but a different recipe that I love), a yummy cranberry-fruit jello, and a pumpkin roll. I have been looking forward to making the pumpkin roll for a whole year. See, I love a good pumpkin roll so much, that I cannot make one for just my small family because I would eat the whole thing. I seriously have zero restraint. So I can only make one when I get together with other people. However, even though I took the roll to the Parkers to share, I think I still ate at least half of it (or more) all by myself. mmmmmmmm. I cant wait until next years pumkin roll!!!
After dinner we talked, played around and Sara and I dove into the Black Friday ads to create our post Thanksgiving shopping lists. We are not such hard core black friday shoppers that we will wake up before 8:00 in the morning, but we are serious enough shoppers that we are usually out for several hours. I think this year was a total of 4. (that is a long shopping trip for me!!)
Brett decided to come shopping with us this year and it was nice to shop without the addition of three year old shopping buddies. :) We found several good deals (my favorites were: an $80 pair of boots that I picked up for $18 and a disney princess sleeping bag, pillow, flashlight and nightlight all packed in a cute tote with wheels for only 10 bucks. yeah for good deals.) Then we spent the rest of Friday afternoon/evening doing truly after Thanksgiving things--eating turkey and watching movies.
On Saturday we had planned to help the Parkers go pick out a Christmas tree. Since we only set up a little artificial tree, I was very excited to get to take Emmeline and Mabel out to cut down a live tree. I woke up very excited and went downstairs to notice that it was pouring rain out. Of course. We had a good breakfast and waited a little while. The rain slowed down a bit and we decided to brave the storm and go get the tree anyway. lollol. It was awesome. When we got to the tree farm the rain was just coming down lightly so we waited for the wagon to come get us. By the time the wagon got there and we all got in the wagon it was POURING down. The few umbrellas that we brought hardly even made a difference. During our wagon ride up to the big trees, we sang Christmas carols and laughed at ourselves. Then we walked around and debated which tree would be the best one. Finally, after some deliberation, George and Brett cut the tree down and carried it back to the wagon. Once we got back to the barn, we all enjoyed some hot apple cider and candy canes before driving back home.
Back at Sara's house, we had some lunch and then packed up to drive back to Birmingham.
It was a wonderful Thanksgiving. I am very thankful for the wonderful family that I had to share it with.

No comments: