Friday, November 7, 2008

The glass is half full

Throughout this election process I have been a "glass is half empty" person. I didn't love either candidate and most of the discussion I was involved in dealt with all the negative aspects of both candidates. This is not surprising since most of the information I got, either from t.v. or from the internet or from other people, was largely focused on these negative aspects of the candidates and their campaigns. When I voted, I chose the candidate which I felt was the "lesser of two evils". I loved voting, and I felt very privileged to live in a country where I could cast my vote and express my preference. But throughout the day I couldn't shake my feeling of dread and fear for this country. Because of all of the negativity, I couldn't stop feeling like our nation was doomed. Needless to say, I was feeling rather discouraged when it was announced that (in my opinion) the "greater of two evils" was announced the winner and the next president of the United States of America.

On Wednesday I called my mom to chat and I ended up having a lengthy discussion with my dad. I love talking with my dad because he is very intelligent and he thinks about things in a way I dont. He'll bring up points I hadnt even thought about before. This is not to say that I agree with everything my dad has to say. Sometimes I dont, and politically, we don't see exactly eye to eye. I'll admit, at first, I wasn't thrilled to be having a political discussion with someone who doesn't share my political sympathies, especially after the democrats had just swept the election. However, my dad did something great for me during our discussion--he reminded me that the glass is half full. He said that he felt both candidates were great men and that they both would have good contributions to give as president. Instead of dwelling on the negative of each candidate--he talked about the positives of each. (Had he given me an Obama is better because speech. . .I probably wouldn't have listened for half a second). But I felt that he was right--every administration has good and bad to contribute, and we are so blessed to live in a country where there are checks and balances placed on the governing body. Perhaps it is time for the nation to begin admonishing some of the good things that are happening in this country instead of all the bad. After all, I was still able to go and cast my vote--whereas, there are others in the world for whom that is not an option. And hey, there is always the hope of Mitt Romney in 2012 or Eric Jensen in 2020.

My fear for the country further dissipated when I learned that Proposition 8 passed in California and similar laws passed in other states. I realized that the country was fighting to protect marriage and families and God given moral values (as opposed to the view that it doesnt matter anymore--which is pretty much all that is seen on t.v.). As long as this country keeps fighting for the things that are right then I say "the glass is half full!"

God bless the USA!!

4 comments:

Nancy Webb said...

Laura, thank you for this post I really needed to hear that perspectove. I have been so caught up in the negatives as you mentioned and it's just refreshing to realize that's why the president is only in for 4 years at a time and 8 max so really it never goes too far before a change. It's interesting to look at the past and almost every 8 yrs it changes from republican to democratic. That tells us something (I think that neither is perfect). Love you and your kids are so darn cute, I just love your posts.

Jamie said...

I agree with your post. It's hard to look at things positively when there is a lot of negativity going on! I am worried about the outcome too, but I'm sure it will work out the way it is suppose to.

Jen and Carl said...

Hey you! I am in full agreement with you. I was filling the exact same way you were, but thankfully Carl can calm my fears the way your dad did for you. I think that we just have to keep praying that we as a people can live right. And we need to pray for our president to make the right choices. Thanks for posting, I was feeling exactly like you! Love ya

Fauna said...

We've been so out of the loop when it comes to the negativity that people talk about during the election (no TV). Wayne and I have been purely getting info off of the internet and double checking some of the facts that we read about. We feel that the person we voted for was the best for the choices that we had. Like my dad always points out, there are more candidates than just the republican and democrats out there. I hope that we can start to come together as a country and get over the partisan divide because that is the only way we can get things done for the greater good.