Wednesday, April 16, 2008

General Conference Weekend

The first weekend in April the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (of which my family and I are members) had a general conference meeting. It was very special because it was the first general conference since our beloved prophet President Gordon B. Hinckley passed away and therefore we were able to sustain and listen to the next prophet, President Thomas S. Monson.


Brett and I decided to go over the Atlanta and listen to the conference sessions with the Parker family (My aunt, uncle, and cousins) in Atlanta Georgia. We thought we left early enough in the morning to arrive in time for conference to start, but we forgot about the time change and so were going to arrive in Atlanta and hour after the meeting started. We really wanted to hear the sustainings of our church leaders. So we called my mom on our cell phone (thank goodness for free weekend minutes) and had them put their phone right up to the t.v. speakers and we put our phone on speaker and held it up between our two heads. We actually could hear what was being said and we were able to raise our hands in support of our leaders. The part of all this that was the most interesting to me was that while President Monson was being sustained as the Prophet of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and Brett and I each raised our hands in turn, despite the distance in which the broadcast was happening, despite being bounced from Salt Lake City to a television in Virginia and then running through a phone line to our car somewhere between Birmingham and Atlanta, despite all of that and despite the noise of the traffic on the freeway, I could still feel the strength of the Spirit witnessing to me that President Monson truly is called by God to be the Lord's Prophet on the earth today. I'm sure the spirit in the Conference Center must have been overwhelming because I felt it so strongly just in my little car. What a wonderful witness to me of the power of the Spirit of the Lord and that It can come to each of us individually to relay important truths to our hearts.


Well, we did make it to the Parker's house and enjoyed a nice relaxing couple of days in Atlanta. When we weren't listening to conference, we were playing card games, eating delicious food, hanging out in the hot tub and playing at a very cool castle park. I'm not sure what Emmelines favorite part was. . ."swimming" in the hot tub or playing in the sandbox at the park. Or perhaps it was seeing Cassie and Chippie (the two dogs). Either way, we all had a wonderful time and are very glad that we were able to go to Atlanta.


* Note * If you would like more information about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, you can visit www.lds.org

No comments: