Saturday, August 30, 2008

Farewell Tonsils

On August 20 I got my tonsils removed. I've snored my whole life and have had trouble breathing at night. The troubled breathing got even worse with each pregnancy. I decided I needed to get my tonsils out before I had another baby.

I've tried to have my tonsils taken out before but have been rejected. One doctor said, "Snoring is not a valid reason to get your tonsils removed." Which is very interesting because on this last visit to the doctor a conversation I had with the nurse went something like this: nurse: "Do you snore?" me: "Yes, really bad." nurse: "Yeah, that is a common sign of big tonsils and having difficulty breathing. We probably will want to take them out." Very interesting. Anyway, my current doctor took one look in my throat and immediately offered to write up a referral to get them out. Yeah.

By the luck of the draw, I drew the first surgery of the day and had to be at the hospital by 5 am. We took Emmeline and Mabel over to our friends, the Cutts, house to have a sleepover so all we would have to do would be get up and go. Although I groaned at the time, I've decided that the early morning was the best time for the surgery. I didn't have to go all day without eating (I dont eat breakfast that early anyway--so I didnt have to miss even 1 meal.) Also, I had the whole day to start the recovery process. Which was great.

This was my first surgery. It was weird to go under and weird to come back to. Not necessarily bad. . . just very weird. After the surgery, the surgeon said that my tonsils were the largest he's ever seen for someone my age. Wonderful.

My mom flew in from Virginia that evening to help out with the girls. They had a good time. My mom took them to the park and the science center. They also played dress up and danced around. And grandma also took care of me, making me lots of jello and soup. My mom had to leave Sunday morning and that evening, by a lucky coincidence, Brett's mom arrived here. She spent the next couple of days playing with the girls. She also took them to to science center and sang lots of songs with them. It was so great that both Grandma and Nana could come and help out while I was recovering.

It has now been a while after the surgery and Brett says my snoring is a lot better. He doesnt wake up through the night anymore. I also feel like I can breath better, so I would have to say that all in all, the surgery was worth it.

Grandma Jorgensen, Mabel, and Emmeline
Dress-up and dancing with Grandma J.
Nana, Mabel, and Emmeline
Having a birthday party with Nana

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Good riddance! I'm so glad you're feeling better!

michelle grange said...

So why didn't you get this done when WE lived together?? j/k It's good to hear that you are breathing better and snoring less. Thank goodness for grandmas to help out!