Saturday, July 19, 2008

Utah 2008

We had such a wonderful trip to Utah this year. In fact, I would say that it was one of my favorite vacations back there. For some reason, it didn't seem like such a busy, stressful vacation. . .but more of a relaxing vacation. We were able to visit with a lot of family and friends (unfortunately not everyone we love. . .maybe one day :)) and we just had a great time.

We flew into SLC just before midnight on Thursday July 3rd. Bretts mom, Nana, came and picked us up at the airport. We spent the night at her house and Emmeline was very excited to have a sleepover with her Nana. The next morning we drove down to Provo where we would spend the next couple of days at my brother Andy's house.

We had a really great time in Provo. We slept at Andy's house and  my sister Lydia came over as well as several of my cousins. We had fun hanging out and playing video games, mainly, Smash Brothers and Guitar Hero.
Amie made us some delicious ribs and burgers for t
he 4th. We all lit off our own little fireworks. All the little kids loved them (and so did the big kids. . .well at least I did.) I was also introduced to the t.v. show Firefly, which I love.
To bad it was cancelled after only one season. On July 5th, Lydia, Amie and I all went and got pedicures. That was really fun. The chairs we got to sit in were massage chairs. . so it was double fun. Emmeline had fun playing with her little cousin Kristine. Also, Lydia gave Emmeline her first real haircut. I've cut her bangs before, but I have never taken off any length. Lyds chopped off a
 couple of inches. She also cut my hair and Bretts. We kept her busy. lol. That night we all went and had dinner at Chuck a Rama. It wouldnt be a complete trip to Provo without a visit to the ol' buffet. We had a really great time in Provo.







On Sunday, we got up and drove to American Fork to attend church. 
It worked out perfectly because Bretts cousins were blessing their new little baby girl in church. Because of the blessing, there was a ton of family there which we may not have been able to see otherwise. After church, we all went and had a delicious luncheon with all of the family at Grandpa Wrights house.(He had all of his flags up for the 4th. It is quite a sight to behold. He has full size flags for each of the kids/grandkids missions plus several U.S. flags from different time periods throughout history. It is awesome).
Em and Mabe enjoyed running (and crawling) around the yard. I really enjoyed being outside myself. The weather was perfect. I forgot how nice it can be to eat outside without the humidity clawing away at your comfort. 
After the lunch we drove back to SLC and had a restful af
ternoon at Nanas. That night, a couple of Bretts aunts and uncles and cousins came over for a game night. It was so much fun. We played Idiot, which is a super fun card game. We also laughed and laughed. There was a running joke about moving to china. . .but I guess you had to be there. lol. 


The next morning, Brett and I went to his Dads dental office to get our teeth cleaned and checked. Brett was fine, I had one cavity in my back wisdom tooth. I was able to get it filled on the spot. It is really awesome not to have to make followup appointments!! Nana babysat the girls while we were getting checked and we met up with them after we were done to have lunch. After lunch we said goodbye to Nana again and drove to Bretts dads (Grandpa Pickett) house. 

That evening when Grandpa Pickett and Donna got home from work, we hopped into the boat and went for a drive to echo lake. This was really fun for our family.
Brett practically grew up on the water and he loves to waterski.

Because we live in Birmingham, he hasn't been able to go skiing for a couple of years. I know it was nice for him to get out in the lake again. The girls also enjoyed the water. Emmeline was able to drive the boat all by herself, which she thought was awesome!!









Tuesday was another fun and busy day. We spent the entire day visiting with people. We went to the zoo with a couple of my best friends (Michelle Grange and Jen Butler) and their little babies. They each had a baby within three months of when I had Mabel. They were all really cute together. It was great to catch up with my friends and it was really fun to be able to talk "baby talk" with them. We also had lunch together at Cafe Rio--DELICIOUS!!



Tuesday we also visited with my Grandparents Jorgensen at their beautiful condo in Salt Lake. Apparently it was Senator Bennett's old condo, a fact of which my grandparents are very proud of. We had a wonderful visit with them. We also went and spent some time with Bretts Grandparents Pickett in their nice townhouse right next to the Jordan River temple. The girls enjoyed playing with puzzles and toys that Brett remembers playing with when he was little. 
                          Great Grandma and Grandpa Jorgensen

                         Great Grandma and Grandpa Pickett

On Wednesday we went back to Nana's condo. We were planning on hanging out with Nana all day, unfortunately she had to go into work last minute. Instead we did some sightseeing with

just the 4 of us. We grabbed some lunch at Groves Market, a must for us when we are in Utah, and had a picnic at City Creek Park. There were some new little baby ducks swimming in the water. Emmeline loved trying to throw them bread to get them to come over close to us. After lunch we walked into temple square and enjoyed the view of the Salt Lake Temple. We also went into the visitors center and walked up to the large statue of Christ up there.

We left first thing Thursday morning. We really had a wonderful visit. 





2 comments:

Megan Rogers said...

So glad that you had a good trip! I wish that I could've met up with you when you were here! I miss seeing you! I guess that I will just have to wait until next time. Love ya!

Kaija said...

Wow you guys did a lot of fun things! I wish I could have gone to the zoo with you guys! Darn work always gets in the way! I may have to come to YOU next time!! Love ya Lar!