Tuesday, May 13, 2008

"More Fireworks!!" --and Musical Moments


On Saturday May 10th Brett took the girls and me to an outdoor concert. The Alabama Symphony Orchestra was playing a special concert for families in honors of Mothers Day. Apparently this is an annual thing because Brett and I remember it happening three years ago when we were here for a weekend looking for a house. Anyway, it was so much fun. We brought a blanket to sit on and we got a little patch of grass. Most people were sitting in lawn chairs in the mall parking lot. There ended up being a small little space in front of us where no one was sitting. Emmeline decided to make it her personal dance stage and she twirled and danced her way through the music.

During the concert Emmeline floored me with her musical knowledge. I'm sure there are other children out there who are smart like this and doing things to amaze their parents. . .but since this is the Pickett Family Blog, I'm going to brag about Emmeline here. Near the end of the concert the symphony played a medley of songs from West Side Story. Before they started they announced that the fireworks would start near the end of the medley during the song "America". So the music started and it was lovely. Emmeline was sitting in her stroller listening. The song was slow. . ."Tonight". . .and Emmeline asked when the fireworks would start. I told her when the music got faster the fireworks would start and for her to just settle into her chair to listen. A minute or two later the music started to speed up. Emmeline jumped from her chair and yelled

"Fireworks now!!"

"Sorry sweetie," I replied. "You're right though. The music is faster now. But we have to wait until it sounds like this. . .do do do do do do do do do." (I sang out the melody of "I want to live in America."

Emmeline sat back in her chair with a look of concentration on her face. After another few minutes the recognizable "America" tune began and immediately Emmeline jumped out of her chair.

"Fireworks now!!" She shouted.

I couldnt believe it. The fireworks hadnt started yet but she recognized the melody I had tried to hum to her a few minutes before. I was very impressed. A couple of seconds later the fireworks started. This was the highlight of the show for Emmeline. She loved every second of it. Mabel enjoyed it too. The fireworks lasted through two other Patriotic songs and then the concert was over. The entire way home and into the next day Emmeline kept asking for "More Fireworks!!"

I loved every part of this experience and will certainly have to take my family back again next year!!! Two thumbs up Alabama Symphony Orchestra.

No comments: