Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Introducing Mabel Jane Pickett


Mabel Jane Pickett was born on Thursday September 6, 2007 at 2:15 in the afternoon. She weighed 8 lbs 6.6 oz and she was 20 & three quarters inches long. She has a head full of beautiful dark hair and just like Emmeline, she has her daddys Pickett chin.

Brett and I checked in at the hospital around 6:30 am to get going on an induction. (Mabel wasnt technically due until the 12th, but frankly I was DONE being pregnant--and things worked out great when we induced with Emmeline so we thought we'd go for it again.) Unfortunately it had been an extremely busy night at the hospital and they weren't ready for us so we had to wait a couple hours before we could get a room. The doctor came in and started the pitocin at about 10. Once that was all set up and going we started to watch Hitch. I didn't make it through the whole movie because the demerol was making me sleepy, and I figured it was more important to get in a few zzz's if I could rather then force myself to stay awake and watch a movie that I've seen before and will see again. Things progressed smoothly. I started my breathing techniques when the contractions started to get hard. There were only about 4 contractions right at the end which were unbearably painful. . .and I figured that it was probably time to start pushing. The nurse checked me out and yup. . .I was ready. She got me up in the stirrups and called for the doc. This was all at about 2:00. Then I gave 4 or 5 big pushes and out came Mabel. So all in all it was a fairly easy delivery (compared to some horror stories that I've heard.) I only had to go through it for just over 4 hours and I didnt need the dreaded epidural. hallelujuh!! 

The hospital stay was pretty uneventful. My recovery was very swift (I think I had a total of 3 percocets. . .and I could have gotten away with just one.) Anyway, come saturday, I was more then ready to be home. Unfortunately, due to Mabels high risk for Jaundice, she had to stay an extra night. Since we only live about 5 minutes from the hospital, I opted to go home and sleep. Then on Sunday morning--Brett, Emmeline and I went to bring home our little baby. All in all a boring and easy delivery. . .which I will take any day over some major drama situation.

Mabel is as sweet as can be. Unless I am delinquent on feeding time, she is really quiet and calm. On the second night home she slept for 4 hour blocks between feedings. After two weeks she'll do between 4 and 5 hour blocks.  Mabel is a beautiful addition to our family. We love her so much and we are thankful that Heavenly Father saw fit to send her to us!!!

No comments: